20090114

On the road.

"Suddenly I found myself on Times Square. I had traveled eight thousand miles around the american continent and I was back on Times Square; and right in the middle of a rush hour, too, seeing with my innocent road-eyes the absolute madness and fantastic hoorair of New York with its millions and millions hustling forever for a buck among themselves, the mad dream - grabbing, taking, giving, sighing, dying, just so they could be buried in those awful cemetery cities beyond Long Island City. The high towers of the land - the other end of the land, the place where Paper America is born. I stood in a subway doorway, trying to get enough nerve to pick up a beautiful long butt, and every time I stooped great crowds rushed by and obliterated it from my sight, and finally it was crushed. I had no money to go home in the bus. Paterson is quite a few miles from Times Square. Can you picture me walking those last miles through the Lincoln Tunnel or over the Washington Bridge into New Jersey ? It was dusk. Where was Hassel ? I dug the square for Hassel; he wasn't there, he was in Ricker's Island, behind bars. Where Dean ? Where everybody ? Where life ? I had my home to go to, my place to lay my head down and figure the losses and figure the gain that I knew was in there somewhere too. I had to panhandle two bits for the bus. I finally hit a Greek minister who was standing around the corner. He gave me the quarter with a nervous lookaway. I rushed immediately to the bus."

Jack Kerouac.

3 commentaires:

Fernando Nunes a dit…

i just loved the text. awesome!!!
add me in msn:magnus_fool@hotmail.com

Anonyme a dit…

J'utilise souvent des termes hors-contexte, je l'avoue tout en esperant que personne ne relève mais là je dois bien avouer avoir raté mon coup :)

& puis Kerouac, fut une periode où un ami m'en parlait toute la journée. En anglais, je ne connaissais pas (ce qui est surement du a mon pauvre niveau).

Je devrais ajouter "arreter de parler pour ne rien dire'' aux resolutions de cette année, ça aiderait tout le monde . :)

Anonyme a dit…

En vérité je crois n'avoir j'amais pris de resolutions précises, c'est plus une image que quelque chose de concret(et puis de toute façon personne ne s'y tient) :)

J'ai un mauvais karma avec l'anglais, alors je n'ai qu'une chose à te dire : respect.
En tout cas j'aime beaucoup Kerouac mais... en français ;)